Video Settings Guide Required
Hi all,

i have recently discovered what Vertical Sync actually is and i was wondering why anyone should ever chose to enable it, maybe i havent understood it right ...t hen i wondered maybe i havent understood the other options neither ...

so i have done some "searches" here on the forum, on the wow main page and on google as well ... but wasnt able to find anything good (most of the material is not clear at all or not updated anymore)

so can anyone link me a good guide to the wow video settings? Or any "expert" fancy to write one?

i have recently discovered what Vertical Sync actually is and i was wondering why anyone should ever chose to enable it, maybe i havent understood it right ...t hen i wondered maybe i havent understood the other options neither ...

Vertical sync prevents screen tearing, which results in a better picture. However, vertical sync may take a toll on performance on a weaker PC. Also, if you dont experience screen tearing, you need not enable vertical sync.

so can anyone link me a good guide to the wow video settings? Or any "expert" fancy to write one?

Im not going to write up an entire guide, but Ill tell you (from my own experience) that the Shadow Quality has a large impact on FPS. The other settings dont seem to be a problem, at least for the time being. :P

However, I have heard complaints regarding Liquid Detail, Sunshafts, View Distance and Particle Density.mmm ... i meant "i was wondering why anyone should ever chose to NOT enable it" ... just missed the "not" ... because from what i have understood it forces your VGA to not produce more FPS than your monitor can hamdle

what would the benefit in having a VGA that produces 150fps when your monitor can show only 60?

but your answer showed me i didnt get it fully right ...more is involved ... so once more i need guide, a link or something that can help me

i have tried wiki for words like multisampling and antialiasing ... but i am not so pro ti understand them 100% and especially to understand how those can influence my game experience (quality of image, fps, detail, etc.)

i feel totally ignorant ... and it is not a nice feeling ...

because from what i have understood it forces your VGA to not produce more FPS than your monitor can hamdle

Thats correct.

what would the benefit in having a VGA that produces 150fps when your monitor can show only 60?

Well, depending on the game, not all video cards can achieve 60 FPS to begin with, so having a powerful GPU is certainly better. :)

i have tried wiki for words like multisampling and antialiasing ... but i am not so pro ti understand them 100% and especially to understand how those can influence my game experience (quality of image, fps, detail, etc.)

Anti-aliasing helps lessen the "staircase effect" when a 3D object is rendered diagonally at lower resolutions. Anti-aliasing works best when your monitor is at its native (highest) resolution.

Anti-aliasing appears in the form of supersampling and multisampling, with the latter being mainstream at the moment. Supersampling provides better picture quality, however, it takes a bigger toll on performance. There are other forms of anti-aliasing as well.

FAIL (the browser should render some flash content, not this).

Cataclysm is a trademark, and World of Warcraft and Blizzard Entertainment are trademarks or registered trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.

This site is in no way associated with Blizzard Entertainment

Valid XHTML & CSS