[Mac] USB Audio Crackling and Eventual Game Freeze

Hello Support,

I am having problems with my USB headset (crackling and then WoW eventually completely freezing. Nothing is generated in the Errors folder, and the only way to easily recover is to turn the Mac off.

Hardware specs:

• Apple iMac 27" mid-2011
  • Mac OS X version 10.8 (although the freezing did happen in 10.7 as well
  • 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 8GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB
  • Logitech G35 USB headset

I am not certain that the USB audio crackling is related to the complete game freeze or not. When using Mac OS X v10.7, there wasnt a problem with audio crackling, but the game did freeze in the same way as it does with OS X v10.8.

The same issue happens with both the 32 and 64 bit client.

I will be in a raid (typically on the last boss!, and the game will freeze completely. No audio, nothing. I cannot kill the game from the keyboard in any way as it is full screen. I can remote shell in and kill the process, so the Mac is definitely still alive.

There is nothing in the Errors folder.

I have deleted the contents of the cache folder, and ran repair. It is still the same.

I have run the Apple Hardware Test, and it has given the hardware a clean bill of health.

What are the next steps to try and diagnose what is causing the problem?

Thanks a lot,
Mark.

FAIL (the browser should render some flash content, not this).

Cataclysm is a trademark, and World of Warcraft and Blizzard Entertainment are trademarks or registered trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.

This site is in no way associated with Blizzard Entertainment

Valid XHTML & CSS