NVIDIA GTX 590 - Multi GPU Settings

Hi Blizzard and fellow Warcrafters,
First of all, let post my PC Specification:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K Unlocked SandyBridge Quad Core CPU Overclocked 4.8GHz GPU 850Mhz 8MB Cache Hyperthreading
RAM: 16GB (4x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance, PC3-12800 (1600, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.50V
MotherBoard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme Rev.3.0, Intel P67, S 1155, PCI-E, DDR3 2200(OC, SATA 6Gb/s, RAID, E-ATX
Graphics Card: 3GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 Ultra Charged 40nm, 3710MHz GDDR5, GPU 691MHz, Shader 1382MHz, 1024 Cores (2 GPUs
PSU: Antec HGC-900 High Current Gamer 900W Power Supply
Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital WD10EARS Caviar Green, SATA 3Gb/s, IntelliPower, 64MB Cache, 8ms
Case: Corsair 600T, Graphite Series Limited Edition White Mid Tower Gaming Case with Side Window
Monitor: 24" BenQ XL2410T Widescreen LED 3D LCD, 1920x1080, 1000:1, 300 cd/m?, 2 ms, VESA
Peripherals: NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit, Razer DeathAdder, Speedlink Medusa 5.1 Gaming Headset, Roccat Arvo Compact Gaming KeyboardI have decided to create a forum thread based on the above subject because I have encountered a problem with World of Warcraft. This problem regards the graphics card NVIDIA GTX 590 and any other SLI configurations that are used to play the game. After searching across the Internet for similar issues, there has been no fixes for the solution and same issues developed.

So what is the problem? The Problem is that World of Warcraft does not consistently run as an end-user product when using an NVIDIA GTX 590 or SLI configurations. The game randomly creates artifacts that develop while playing the game at random occurrences. As well as the artifacts, Player Portraits are also seen as flashing / flickering on screen. I have attached below images I have taken in game to show artifacts that I have received.

http://imageshack.us/f/7/2011071100001k.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/818/wowscrnshot071111150729.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/18/wowscrnshot071111150810.jpg/

At first I thought the problem was based on Over-heating. However, this powerful graphics card is designed to run at a temp max of 97C (According to Scan.co.uk Website. To prove its also not the over-heating that is the cause of the problem, I have encountered artifacts at temperatures at the mid range of 65-78C. I have had a max temperature of 85C in World of Warcraft, and have not had consistent artifacts at this temperature. This would be the case wouldnt it?

I have tried to run all display settings and graphics settings including DirectX 11 and 9 and Triple Buffering Enabled and Disabled. Also I have tried down-clocking my GTX 590 while running in Multi-GPU settings and this did not fix it.

Further more, today I was lead to believe that a solution to the problem was to run the game in Single-GPU mode. I was running at a temperature of 85C max, again, no artifacts (So over-heating is not the problem However, since running in Single-GPU configurations I have not encountered any problems with the game. I have also tested down-clocking and over-clocking the GTX 590 with Single-GPU mode and the game runs as it should with both settings.

So why are you posting a thread when you have a solution? I am posting this thread to ensure users a temporary possible solution for the game and to also ensure Blizzard are aware of the GTX 590 and or SLI Configurations problems in game.

The NVIDIA GTX 590 is a pricey card to purchase (heck myself purchased at ?650 now I dont know about you guys, but if I were to pay for a graphics card at a price like that, I should expect to see little to no problems in games and or having the customer to mess around with their card settings just to play a game. Now I dont know whether Blizzard can make an update to the game that resolves the problem with the GTX 590 and SLI configurations, or whether NVIDIA may have to release another Driver. This is why I am also posting this thread as I would like to see an appropriate solution produced for this product. I do not wish to run a game I love in Single-GPU mode and not recieving end-user requirements. To put on a side note, I dont know what this is like for ATI/AMD Users on their Radeon 6990 or Crossfire configurations.

I would like to thank you for reading and hope to see a solution resolved Blizzard. As I feel it is unfair to pay ??? and be forced to play under less effective game play as im not receiving full benefit from my product

EDIT: Found a forum thread containing:

Krinskal (Blizzard This is an integrated dual-GPU graphic adapter. World of Warcraft does not support SLI/Crossfire configurations as theyre known to cause graphical issues.

Daktalis: Well, Setting Wow to run under "Single GPU Mode" Under Program settings in the Nvidia menu seems to fix it, performance isnt affected at all (still a steady 120fps whilst running around heavy areas like stormwind or org.

So, this is to be resolved by Blizzard then? Please make this Graphics card and SLI/Crossfire configurations supported Blizzard!

I see ur CPU is overclocked cant give support then herpaderpa (Blue inc!

I have also ran my CPU at default speed.

Krinskal (Blizzard This is an integrated dual-GPU graphic adapter. World of Warcraft does not support SLI/Crossfire configurations as theyre known to cause graphical issues.

Daktalis: Well, Setting Wow to run under "Single GPU Mode" Under Program settings in the Nvidia menu seems to fix it, performance isnt affected at all (still a steady 120fps whilst running around heavy areas like stormwind or org.

So, this is to be resolved by Blizzard then? Please make this Graphics card and SLI/Crossfire configurations supported Blizzard!

Hiya,

just to start, a GTX590 is in fact an SLi product, the two gpus on the card are connected via an internal SLi bridge situated between the board itself and the vapour chambers on it, so theres no difference architecturally between it and a pair of crossfired/slid cards.

set it to Single GPU as per my post you quoted, and itll be fine, the Card is more than powerful enough to run the game at ultra on 1900x1080 and still hit between 120-140fps in built up areas.

my pc build is similar to yours, but i opted for 8gb ram, the overhead you pay for 16gb isnt worth it as most programs have yet to break the 2gb mem barrier (which is a 32 bit prog limitation. same monitor even, though occasionally i use a wow cata gaming mouse and i have a blackwidow keyboard / Astro A40s headset connected up to a fatal1ty pro sound card.

I can only assume SLi isnt supported because Wow isnt all that graphic card intensive, alot of it is your cpu and memory as opposed to more graphically intensive games. to put my point acrost, with fps limiters disabled and vsynch off, running under dual gpu (i7-2600k @ 4.6ghz / 8gb ram 1600mhz i was getting 120-180 fps.. with it in single, im still getting 120-140, and our monitors only shows 120 anyway which is ideal for me.

to work for SLi the game engine has to be written around it pretty much from the ground up, its not a simple patch and how it performs will be different depending on what cards your using, a crossfire setup will behave totally different from a SLi setup, and twind 580GTXs will behave totally differently from a GTX590 (despite using the same chips, just downclocked. its just too much time and effort for what is, realistically, no gain. Seriously, theres no point shooting for 200 frames per second

theres not any major tweaking involved either, my SLIs still enabled, just i set (under NVidia control panel, Program settings gpu rendering mode to Single.. nothing else to do.

FAIL (the browser should render some flash content, not this).

Cataclysm is a trademark, and World of Warcraft and Blizzard Entertainment are trademarks or registered trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.

This site is in no way associated with Blizzard Entertainment

Valid XHTML & CSS